The time has come to get serious about finding my very first post-fellowship job. I’m looking for the “right fit” for me. Easier said than done. In response, I’ve created a series of questions that I hope to have answered at some point during my interviews with each practice. Now having interviewed at multiple practices, it’s clear that the interviewer has memorized many of these questions; however, I find it important to repeatedly refer back to these questions making sure I get important items answered.
This post will serve as a continuously-updated archive of those questions; the more I learn on my journey, the more I will add to this post.
Important Initial Interview Questions
I find that the majority of these questions find their way into each initial meeting. Whether that is via telephone with the senior partner at the group or in-person (see: pandemic issues), the fact remains that this series of questions provides a great overview of the opportunity at hand. Starting from the top of the list and moving down, I am attempting to write each question in chronological order: questions at the top are asked first, with subsequent questions further down on the list.
- Why are you hiring? (e.g. physician leaving, retiring, patient demand, etc.)
- Tell me about the group. What is the culture like?
- What would my typical daily schedule be? Average volumes, understanding there is variation among the doctors in the group.
- How many clinic patients are scheduled per day (or 1/2 day session)?
- How many scopes are performed per day?
- Describe typical work hours: start/end times for endoscopy, start/end times for clinic.
- What hospital(s) would I be expected to cover? What is the call schedule?
- How many inpatient consults per day?
- What is the overall census?
- At the hospital: IR and surgery support?
- Do you foresee any significant changes to the group in the near future? Specifically, ask about impending buy-outs by larger firms if in an area that has competing private-equity backed groups.
- Does the group encourage CME, teaching, hospital staff, and medical society activities?
- Tell me about the compensation package. For the first 1-2 years of employment, what is the salary guarantee? Describe any productivity bonus.
- For private groups: what are the eligibility requirements for partnership? Please give a ballpark figure of the average earner in the group.
- Are regular staff meetings held? Do all the doctors attend?
- For private equity-backed or large groups (>10 GI physicians): what is your relationship like with administration? Specifically, describe any expectations the executive suite may/may not have.
Photo by Jens Lelie.